Monday, December 13, 2010

1.Of.My.Many.Hobbies.

I have a lot of so called, 'hobbies', things that I love to do & ways that I love spending time. But right now, I'm just going to tell you about 1. Just one.


Reading.
I love reading, soooo much. It's great for everything.
  • Healing a broken heart. (... I think, although that's something I don't really, fully understand because if your heart is broken, then you would be dead. Say you got shot, in the heart. This would 'break' your heart, so to speak, but you would die. Also, if you were stabbed in the heart, you would die with a 'broken heart'. So it would be more correct to say that if it's your emotions that need healing, reading can do just that. But then again, so could a big tub of Ben & Jerry's)
  • Escaping. This is one of my favourite aspects of reading a good book. If you find one that appeals to you, that you like & even that you can't put down, you can get completely absorbed by it. Lose yourself in the storyline. Relate to the characters. Love the places it takes you. Find a good book & a comfy armchair & you can escape into the story for hours. Leave behind all of your worries, forget about all the bills that are overdue & fade out the noise of every day life.
  • Learning. One can learn a lot from reading. It doesn't matter if what you're reading isn't something along the lines of "The Boring But Completely Factual Book Of Quantum Physics", you still learn things; skills, mistakes, lessons, words, hell even geography! Reading expands both your general knowledge & your vocabulary. Take this blog for example, the title is not a made-up or foreign language, but interesting & unusual words which mean: nonsense that changes quickly. Also, you may notice the URL I have chosen for this blog, the-kvetch-of-Carman. Kvetch is an uncommon word which means to complain constantly, so you could say this blog is the constant complaints of me, Carman.
This is going out on a limb here, but I believe that books can have a significant impact on a generation or a particular society. (I know this example is widely used, but it's true) Harry Potter for example got children to read. It helped kids & teens to escape into the magical wizarding world & is said to have had a great impact on that certain generation. The Harry Potter series, by J.K. Rowling, has received a lot of praise over the years & I guess I am doing just the same, but I think it deserves it.

Also, If you think about it, the Classics not only would have greatly impacted on their society because of the great way in which they were written or the way that they were so ahead of their times but because they were popular (& still are) & encouraged people to read. Nowadays the Classics, such as: Jane Eyre, Pride & Prejudice, To Kill A Mockingbird & of course anything by Shakespeare, give the reader a beautiful insight into another time.

Thanks again...
Keep Reading !!!
~C

No comments:

Post a Comment