Everyone is obsessed with something.
Usually, there is some world wide trend happening, in regards to a current television show, music artist, book, product or movie. In recent times some of the major obsessions have been: Harry Potter, Snuggies, Twilight, Justin Bieber, Facebook, Cop shows, Vampires (in general) & Fantasy books (seriously, there has been a recent overload of them & they are mostly ALL THE SAME!).
Well, at the moment I am obsessed with an amazing television series called Supernatural. :)
You may have heard of it. If you haven't (you haven't LIVED) it's basically a story about two brothers who, bound by tragedy and blood to a dangerous, otherworldly mission, travel the mysterious back roads of the USA in their '67 Chevy Impala, searching for their missing father and hunting down every evil supernatural force they encounter along the way. Supernatural acquires a dedicated following due to its thrilling story lines, great family drama, and charismatic young stars. The great soundtrack of classic rock, metal, country, and blues hits doesn't hurt either!
"Supernatural is a freak. It's a mutt. It's a Frankenstein's Monster of pretty much everything I love - horror, comedy, urban legends, classic rock, Joseph Campbell, Route 66, Westerns - all stitched together into one bloody, twitching package." ~ (Creator Eric Kripke, from a Titan Publications press release.)
I love it. And this is why...
I recently (about 5 minutes ago) read a forum discussing Supernatural & why us fangirls & guys alike just want to eat it up. I found heaps of interesting points that people may not see on the surface. Also, some great quotes to describe the show. Hehe. *Spoilers*
"It's all about the pretty pretty men with the pretty pretty guns listening to kick-ass rock music in a kick-ass muscle car as they, well, kick ass and take names. Until, of course, it's not, and then it's about two lost little boys who aren't really sure where they're headed or what the hell they're going to do about all of the trouble that just keeps piling up around them." (http://theladyscribe.livejournal.com/)
"[P]retty boys who fight supernatural beings, [...] have some daddy issues and an us-against-the-world mentality, paired with the added layer of the forbidden... it has fangirl material written all over it." (http://pocketfullof.livejournal.com/)
"The overarching narrative is classic and appealing: Wandering the Earth Fighting Evil." (http://harriet-spy.livejournal.com/)
1. Dean Winchester. :) He's an amazingly sexy combination of 2 classic stereotypes: the stoic hero & the reckless, flirtatious bad-boy rolled into one gorgeous packaging, with a soft, chewy, angst-filled centre. He'd to anything for his brother & has an undying, almost obsessive respect and obedience to his father. But apart from that he has addictions to unhealthy diner food, bad TV dramas, classic American muscle cars & women.
2. The believable family-orientated relationships. Seriously. This show does 'family' brilliantly. The relationships between the brothers, their father & a few of the more minor characters (such as Bobby & Ellen) are very realistic. You never come away feeling as if an argument was faked or that the acting was bad. Sometimes you can easily forget that the ACTORS have lives.
3. It's NOT set in a high-school environment. Supernatural appeals to both teens & adults & I love they way that it can appeal to adolescents without having to be a cliched, high-school drama, where the characters have to depend on their friends for support. The characters (although sometime seeming young and teenager-ish are independent adults & this series is not one for the tweenyboppers. (Let them stick to their high-school dramas!)
4. All of the stand-alone episodes. These are great for a bit of humor of a change up to the story line. sure the arcing, main, intense quest id great but it can get a little heavy at times. the stand-alones are some of my favourites. they could be from a different characters perspective, written in a different way than normal, or just plain weird, but i love them.
5. Road trip! It's a road trip story. Who doesn't love 'em. Travelling the back roads, meeting interesting characters along the way. You can put the characters anywhere on the map & they'll adapt, survive & always have a good time.
6. The Impala. :) It's love at first sight, but also goes by the name of a, 1967 Chevrolet Impala. It's black, shiny & pretty much oozes 'muscle car-ness'.
"Supernatural has wolfed down fandom with a side of fries and onion rings, in a seedy motel room, wearing flannel, while angsting with its gorgeous brother." (http://notrafficlights.livejournal.com/)